Our students have many opportunities to be challenged, grow, and learn through daily devotions, Bible classes, and weekly chapels what it means to live a life of virtue while sharing Christ’s love with everyone. At Dutton Christian School, we do not believe that spiritual formation happens just during Bible and chapel times, but rather is integrated throughout our entire curriculum.
Our theme this year focuses on the I Am statements of Jesus recorded in the Gospel of John. Last spring our teachers chose this theme and our middle school students had the opportunity to submit designs reflecting this theme. This year’s design, which is displayed on the front of our theme t-shirts, was submitted by current 7 th grader, Will VanderMaas. The phrase I Am originated from God Himself. The mighty God of the universe calls Himself I AM.
The following is an excerpt from a Guideposts article written by Bob Hostetler and was used as a responsive reading in our Opening Ceremonies on the first day of school. Using Jesus’
I Am statements as a guide, these words can also serve as a daily prayer:
– Lord Jesus, you said, “I am the bread of life.” Your nature is to provide and sustain life as You did for crowds on Galilean hillsides. We pray for You to meet our needs today.
– You said, “I am the light of the world.” It is Your very nature to dispel darkness. Please light the path ahead of us and shine Your light on us.
– You said, “I am the gate for the sheep.” You protect and shelter those who depend on You. Let nothing come our way that You have not approved. You said, “I am the good shepherd.” Your nature is to care and lead and guide. Please do that for us today.
– You said, “I am the resurrection and the life.” You banish sadness and impart vitality and abundance. Please resurrect our hopes and enliven us today.
– You said, “I am the way, the truth and the life.” Your very nature is to drive away confusion, distraction, error, doubt and death. Please banish those things from our hearts, minds and spirits
– You said, “I am the true vine.” You impart Your divine beauty, grace and vitality to all those who abide inYou. Help us to abide in You today and infuse us with Your nature.